Safety Tips for Stringing Those Holiday Lights

| No Comments
Safety Tips for Stringing Those Holiday Lights
 

Have you already strung the holiday lights on the railings, bushes and trees around your home? Our Customer Service Team wanted to share just a few quick reminders to help avoid overloaded circuits, electrical fires and other hazards surrounding your holiday light extravaganzas…

  • Holiday Light safety tips from onte Hewett HomesOutside Lights
    • Never use seasonal lighting outside your home unless it is specifically labeled for outdoor use.
    • Connect outside lighting to a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupting (GFCI) outlet. If you don’t have a GFCI outlet, contact a qualified electrician for proper installation.
    • Never secure the wiring of outdoor lighting with staples or nails – or place lights on sharp hooks or nails.
    • Do not close doors or windows on extension cords, or mount lights in any way that can damage the cord’s wire insulation.
    • Carefully inspect new and previously used light strings and replace damaged items before plugging lights in. Some bulbs may have broken while in “storage.” Never overload extension cords.

    Inside Lights

    • Keep kids and pets away from light strings and electrical decorations.
    • Unplug all holiday lighting before leaving the house or when going to bed.
    • Avoid covering lights with cloth, paper or any material that is not part of the lighting.
    • Throw away any lighting that shows cut, damaged or frayed wire insulation or cords. Also discard lights with cracks in lamp holders, loose connections or exposed copper wire.
    • Virtually all holiday lighting is provided with overload fuse protection. A blown fuse indicates an overload or short-circuit situation. When this occurs, unplug lights from the outlet immediately and replace the blown fuse.
    • If the replacement fuse blows, a short circuit may be present. Either throw the light string away – or return it to the retailer if new.
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.