We all love the warmth and festive atmosphere created by candles, especially during the holidays. But they can be dangerous if left unattended or placed near anything flammable. Here are a few tips to make sure you are burning candles safely around your home:
- Make sure an adult is in the room and paying attention whenever you light a candle. Blow out all candles before going to sleep or leaving the room.
- Do not permit children to keep or use candles or incense in their rooms. Candles should only be used when an adult is present, awake and alert.
- Never use lighted candles on or near a Christmas tree or other evergreens.
- Keep candles at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including other decorations, wrapping paper and especially window treatments.
- Always use stable, nonflammable candle holders with a hurricane glass to protect the open flame.
- Place candles where they will not be knocked down or blown over and out of reach of pets and young children.
- If you have children in your home, store candles, matches and lighters out of their sight and reach in a locked cabinet.
And the SAFEST option is to use battery-powered candles whenever possible. This eliminates the danger of open flame altogether!