It may not seem like winter in Georgia now, but the cold weather is coming and so are the holidays. This is the time of year to pull out the festive décor, enjoy your family and entertain guests in your energy-efficient Monte Hewett home
As a homeowner, it is wise to take some steps to winterize your energy-efficient home to reap the benefits of your investment. Before the cold weather hits, we suggest you follow an seasonal check list of maintenance “to-dos” that will help reduce the cost of high energy bills. Below are some tips on how you can winterize your home:
- Caulk any gaps: Check for gaps around doors or window frames and caulk as necessary
- Watch Your Thermostat: Turn it down when you know you will be away from home and before going to bed.
- Change the direction of ceiling fans: Doing so redistributes warm air in the home
- Check your water heater temperature: Turn down to 120 degrees F to reduce your water heating costs by 6%- 10%
- Give your heating system a tune-up: Have a professional clean, lubricate and properly adjust it to reduce energy use. Save up to 5% of heating costs.
- Replace dirty air filters: Dirty filters restrict airflow.
- Use an energy monitor: This is a device that indicates household electrical usage in real time and projects your monthly bill
- Bleeding the sprinkler lines: Be sure to “bleed” you sprinkler lines before the first hard freeze. This means turning OFF the main irrigation water line and then running the sprinklers until all water it out of the lines.
- Cleaning out gutters: Remove any fall debris from the gutters before there is any frozen precipitation to prevent overflow.
- Covering your external faucets: Cover external faucets with foam or inexpensive covers available at any hardware store.
Making these minor adjustments to winterize your energy-efficient home will allow you that extra sense of peace, as well as reduce the cost of high energy bills. Follow our annual check system before it gets cold and enjoy the holidays in your most precious investment- your energy efficient Monte Hewett Home. For more information about Monte Hewett homes Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404-459-6080.